SM&B’s weekly news update including:
• An ET finds the dismissal of a visually impaired employee was in consequence of his disability and while there was a legitimate aim, dismissal was not justified, as less discriminatory means were not considered.
• Acas publish guidance on the cost of social exclusion to employers and how to create an inclusive workplace, after CIPD research suggests that almost two thirds of employees feel that bullying is socially-driven.
• The Department of Work and Pensions has published the Proposed benefit and pension rates for 2017 to 2018, which sets out the increases to maternity, paternity and parental leave payments, and SSP.
• The Workingmums Annual Survey 2016 provides very useful demographic information on employment rate, type of job, pay and childcare which will assist employers in recruitment and retention.
• The ICO has fined an employer after a laptop containing sensitive personal data was stolen whilst a member of staff was working away from the office, highlighting the need for adequate procedures to be in place